Think Beyond Pink raising money to fight Metastatic Breast Cance - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Think Beyond Pink raising money to fight Metastatic Breast Cancer

Courtney Ivy (Source: KCBD Video) Courtney Ivy (Source: KCBD Video)
Provided by Lozada Family Provided by Lozada Family
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the mission continues.

Race for the Cure was a big success earlier this month. But now, organizers are hoping another race will bring awareness to a specific type of breast cancer.

Courtney Ivy is a registered nurse who is helping coordinate an event called "Think Beyond Pink."

She has watched a close friend, another nurse, face a devastating diagnosis of stage 4 breast cancer that has quickly moved to the liver and the bone. Her friend, Heather, is just 32 with 2 small children.

Since there are many others every year coping with that same diagnosis, Courtney is spearheading another race aimed at helping those breast cancer patients who are diagnosed late in the disease.

The event is called "Think Beyond Pink".

DONATE HERE: Beyond Pink #Stage4NeedsMore

It's a little different from Race for the Cure in that a majority of the proceeds will be directed to MBC or Metastatic Breast Cancer. The goal is to find treatment for those whose diagnosis comes in the late stages.  Courtney is among a growing group of supporters who want research dollars directed to finding new drugs and therapies that will allow stage 4 breast cancer patients to "manage" cancer as a chronic condition... instead of planning for a fatal illness.

Think Beyond Pink is a 1 mile walk or 5K planned at Buddy Holly Park on Saturday, October 22nd.

Check-in is at 7 and the race will begin at 8 that morning.

There is another event coming soon to support this research and also raise money for Heather Lozada,  Courtney's friend. Since Thursday, October 13th, is Metaviver Day, the Cyclebar is holding an hour of indoor cycling to recognize all those who are living with a Metastatic diagnosis, which means the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.

That event will cost $35 and the proceeds will be divided so that 70% can be directed to stage 4 research, while the other 30% will go to Heather to help with her expenses.

The Cyclebar is located at 7604 Milwaukee in Lubbock.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly