Family of Barbara Hinojosa prays for answers in unsolved murder - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Family of Barbara Hinojosa prays for answers in unsolved murder case

Photo of Barbara Hinojosa before her murder (source: family photo) Photo of Barbara Hinojosa before her murder (source: family photo)
Barbara's mother, Alice Kerr, looks at a photo of Barbara holding her son (source: KCBD video) Barbara's mother, Alice Kerr, looks at a photo of Barbara holding her son (source: KCBD video)

Detectives with the Lubbock Police Department continue to investigate a local murder case that remains unsolved after 25 years.

On Oct. 12, 1991, Barbara Jean Hinojosa was found stabbed to death in her East Lubbock home. Lubbock police continue to investigate this unsolved murder case.

Investigators say her home was burglarized, and they believe she was murdered sometime between 11 p.m. Oct. 11 and 9 a.m. Oct. 12.

Though it is unsolved, lead Detective Josh Franco says the Hinojosa case remains very active. He says over the last year, they have re-interviewed multiple people about this case.

Detective Franco hopes someone will come forward with information that could finally close the case, and so does Barbara's family.

"It hit me real hard because I just, didn't expect that. Didn't expect that," Barbara's mother, Alice Kerr said.

At 80 years old, Alice keeps herself busy at her family's business on 34th street.

"I come six days a week. I love being around people. It just makes my day," Kerr said.

But in the moments when she stops, she's brought back to this day, 25 years ago. A mother's worst nightmare.

"I was here at work. The only thing they said was something happened to Barbara," Kerr said.

In the years after her daughter's murder, she has experienced a range of emotions from anger and grief, to confusion.

"I'm very puzzled about her murder," Kerr said.

But she says faith has kept their family strong.

"I go to the chapel, and I pray. I pray awfully hard."

Alice says she and her late husband raised Barbara's son, only 5 years old at the time of his mother's murder.

"Now he's in the fire department, and I'm just real proud of him," Kerr said.

But through it all, there has always been a piece of her heart missing.

"It's just sad that she was taken at a young age, when she was doing the job she loved to do," she said.

"I don't give up. As long as I can I'll pray hard. I'd just love closure - that would be good," Kerr said.

Lubbock Police urge anyone with information to call Detective Franco at 775-2405 or Crime Line at 806-741-1000.

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Blaming conservatives, Trump signals new openness to Dems

Sunday, March 26 2017 4:12 PM EDT2017-03-26 20:12:50 GMT
    Sunday, March 26 2017 4:12 PM EDT2017-03-26 20:12:50 GMT

President Donald Trump is attacking conservative lawmakers after the failure of the Republican bill to replace "Obamacare.".

Police: Multiple shooters kill 1, injure 15 in Cincinnati following fight

Sunday, March 26 2017 5:46 AM EDT2017-03-26 09:46:59 GMT
    Sunday, March 26 2017 1:28 PM EDT2017-03-26 17:28:49 GMT

One person was killed and another 14 injured in a mass shooting at a Cincinnati nightclub early Sunday morning.

Fire Weather Warning for this afternoon

Sunday, March 26 2017 10:33 AM EDT2017-03-26 14:33:36 GMT
    Sunday, March 26 2017 10:33 AM EDT2017-03-26 14:33:36 GMT
    The South Plains has been placed under a Fire Weather Warning valid from this afternoon at 1 p.m. until 8 p.m. this evening. Sustained winds at 20-30 mph, warm temperatures and low relative humidity values will create an elevated to critical fire weather risk for our area. A cold front will move through our area late tonight, shifting winds out of the north. Monday morning will be cool and breezy.