Food for Thought: 10/27/16 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Food for Thought: 10/27/16

Source: KCBD Graphic Source: KCBD Graphic
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) -

Lin's Buffet recently changed its name to Dragon Buffet. Despite the name change, it's under the same ownership, and it's having some of the same issues we've seen before.

Inspectors cited Dragon Buffet at 5608 Slide Road with 19 violations.

  • Roaches were on the wall near the dishwasher and underneath the dishwasher. Fruit flies were at a drink station that wasn't being used, and fly strips were hanging in the kitchen. Fly strips can only be used when there is no food prep going on.
  • Raw chicken and eggs at the hibachi grill were above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees. Multiple foods on the buffet were not cold enough.
  • Chicken did not have a date mark.
  • Raw eggs and raw octopus were stored above vegetables in the walk-in cooler. Raw chicken was over raw beef. There was ice buildup on the freezer fan above in-use food.
  • Heads of cabbage were stored on the floor in the walk-in cooler. Potatoes were in a bucket on the floor.
  • The thermometer in the reach-in cooler was broken.
  • Water was pooling in the bottom of that cooler. A container with fish heads was cracked. A foam cup was used as a sugar scoop, and the sugar bins were dirty. There was a leak under the drink station. A knife was broken. 
  • A tray was stored on the floor. Clean utensils were sitting a pool of water because they weren't allowed to air dry. Ice scoop stored on the ice machine. Ice cream bowls were on the ice cream machine. 
  • The ice cream machine was dirty.
  • Vent hoods above the grills and woks were dirty.
  • Floors, walls and the ceiling were dirty.
  • There were no paper towels in the restroom.
  • Utensils were being washed in a hand sink. Hand sinks are for hand washing only to prevent cross contamination.
  • There were food particles inside the container of hand soap at the hand sink.
  • The can opener and cutting board were dirty. Sanitizer solution was not strong enough.The dishes were not being sanitized.
  • Wiping cloths were not being kept in the sanitizer bucket. They should be stored there unless in-use.
  • Cans were dented. This can cause botulism. 
  • An unauthorized person was going in and out of the kitchen.
  • There was no certified food manager certificate available. The inspector notes, due to the number and the nature of the violations management did not show proper food safety knowledge.

The restaurant was closed for 24 hours while they cleaned-up and corrected all their violations. Health inspectors re-inspected the restaurant and gave owners the go-ahead to reopen. 

We do have one top performer on the list this week:

4 Life Nutrition at 2015 Clovis Road

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly