Lubbock drug counselor describes dangers of fentanyl - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock drug counselor describes dangers of fentanyl

Cole Watts, program director at Stages Recovery (Source: KCBD Video) Cole Watts, program director at Stages Recovery (Source: KCBD Video)

Cole Watts is now 10 years sober, but during his time battling addiction, he dabbled in various types of drugs, including fentanyl.

"I used for a while and it got progressively worse," Watts said.

Today, Watts is program director of Stages Recovery, but he is also recovering from his battle with addiction.

"I was really young when I started for the first time, he said. "I tried marijuana and alcohol for the first time when I was 13."

He says he experimented with whatever he could get his hands on.

"It's literally like a snow going down the mountain that I didn't know I couldn't control," he says.

Watts describes how his nine-year battle with addiction began.

"Some people are able to have that one drink and then put it down," he explains. "Whereas something different happened in my brain and it clicked. The first time I had a drink, I'm in recovery myself, so when I had a drink, something happened."

But, it was not just alcohol. Watts said he tried a variety of different drugs to get high.

"I did fentanyl a couple of times," he said. "I was a pretty non-discriminate drug user. So, whatever I could use, I was going to give it a shot, for sure."

Fentanyl, Watts says, is dangerous because of how strong it is.

"Fentanyl is closer to heroin than it is to hydrocodone or some of the other pain reliever pills that you get prescribed, just because of its potency," he tells us.

After several years of battling addiction, Watts got arrested and started to turn his life around.

"I got clean at 22," he says.

Watts says he owes a huge thank you to the State of Texas for helping him on his road to recovery, and now, he's working to help others who are going through the same struggles he once did.

Now, he is the program director at Stages Recovery. Watts says he and his team not only help adults combat addiction, but they also have a program for teens, too.

"All of a sudden, I look back and man, look at where I'm at now," he says. "It's been a really cool thing and I just, as I went, I just can't get enough of this."

Copyright 2016 KCBD. All rights reserved.

• Lubbock drug counselor describes dangers of fentanylMore>>

• KCBD Investigates

Fatal dose: Fentanyl sweeping the South Plains

Fatal dose: Fentanyl sweeping the South Plains

(Source: KCBD/file)(Source: KCBD/file)

A deadly drug called fentanyl is sweeping the South Plains. A deadly dosage could be as much as a few grains of salt. After a three-year investigation, numerous accused dealers have been put behind bars.

Jury to deliberate after Cosby painted as predator, victim

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:26:54 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 8:53 AM EDT2018-04-25 12:53:05 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). Bill Cosby departs after his sexual assault trial near a cloud of bubbles blown by a protester, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). Bill Cosby departs after his sexual assault trial near a cloud of bubbles blown by a protester, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.

Jurors at Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial are poised to start deliberating after a marathon day of closing arguments.

The Latest: Trump urges VA nominee to keep fighting

Tuesday, April 24 2018 9:46 AM EDT2018-04-24 13:46:17 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 8:50 AM EDT2018-04-25 12:50:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this April 16, 2018, photo, U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson, M.D., sits with Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., chairman of the Veteran's Affairs Committee, before their meeting on Capitol Hilin Washington. Jackson is President D...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this April 16, 2018, photo, U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Ronny Jackson, M.D., sits with Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., chairman of the Veteran's Affairs Committee, before their meeting on Capitol Hilin Washington. Jackson is President D...

The White House is standing behind Ronny Jackson, President Donald Trump's choice to be Veterans Affairs secretary amid growing questions about his qualifications.

Lax vetting on Trump nominees begins to frustrate senators

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:47:40 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 8:49 AM EDT2018-04-25 12:49:39 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.

As President Donald Trump's pick to lead Veterans Affairs skids to a halt, senators from both parties are voicing frustration that the White House is skipping crucial vetting of nominees and leaving lawmakers to clean up the mess.