Lubbock Student Overcomes Cultural Differences To Become Graduate - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

5/28/05

Lubbock Student Overcomes Cultural Differences To Become Graduate

"I came here two years ago." Nethanji is an immigrant from Sri Lanka. "When I came to the United States I was so scared I didn't talk to anyone I was really scared. Clothes, languages, social life all, that it's totally different," Nethanji said.

Her goal, however, has always been the same. "To go to college." That's where the Academic Decathlon team came in.

"It gave her a family of students to belong to, they took her in when she didn't have anybody," Academic Decathlon Coach, Gary Fortenberry said.

While studying for competitions, Nethanji found a friend with a familiar story.

"We connected on a very cultural level. We both had parents that work so much and understand each others background," Ngoc Lam, a graduating senior at Monterey High School, said.

A friend that had to overcome the same challenges. "I'm from Vietnam, my family immigrated over here when I was seven years old," Ngoc said.

Now best friends, two young women whose lives began half a world away find themselves walking across the same stage of life... looking forward to a future made possible through sacrifice.

"I definitely look up to my parents," Lam said.

"My parents got jobs, but they were thinking about our education." Nethanji said.

The Latest: Shiffrin sets up Olympic showdown with Vonn

Wednesday, February 21 2018 8:35 PM EST2018-02-22 01:35:29 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:23 PM EST2018-02-22 03:23:53 GMT

Russian state TV reports that curler Alexander Krushelnitsky will give back his Olympic bronze medal after failing a drug test at the Pyeongchang Winter Games.

Angry teens swarm into Florida Capitol; demand new gun laws

Wednesday, February 21 2018 1:43 AM EST2018-02-21 06:43:29 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:18 PM EST2018-02-22 03:18:04 GMT

Students who survived the Florida school shooting are preparing to flood the Capitol pushing to ban the assault-style rifle used to kill 17 people, vowing to make changes in the November election if they can't persuade lawmakers to change law now.

Gasser outduels Anderson for gold in women's Big Air

Wednesday, February 21 2018 9:34 PM EST2018-02-22 02:34:18 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:17 PM EST2018-02-22 03:17:28 GMT

Anna Gasser edged two-time gold medalist Jamie Anderson in a thrilling final to earn gold in the Olympic debut of women's Big Air snowboarding.