Lubbock Student Overcomes Cultural Differences To Become Graduate - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

5/28/05

Lubbock Student Overcomes Cultural Differences To Become Graduate

"I came here two years ago." Nethanji is an immigrant from Sri Lanka. "When I came to the United States I was so scared I didn't talk to anyone I was really scared. Clothes, languages, social life all, that it's totally different," Nethanji said.

Her goal, however, has always been the same. "To go to college." That's where the Academic Decathlon team came in.

"It gave her a family of students to belong to, they took her in when she didn't have anybody," Academic Decathlon Coach, Gary Fortenberry said.

While studying for competitions, Nethanji found a friend with a familiar story.

"We connected on a very cultural level. We both had parents that work so much and understand each others background," Ngoc Lam, a graduating senior at Monterey High School, said.

A friend that had to overcome the same challenges. "I'm from Vietnam, my family immigrated over here when I was seven years old," Ngoc said.

Now best friends, two young women whose lives began half a world away find themselves walking across the same stage of life... looking forward to a future made possible through sacrifice.

"I definitely look up to my parents," Lam said.

"My parents got jobs, but they were thinking about our education." Nethanji said.

Trump chastises NATO, vows to crackdown on leaks

Thursday, May 25 2017 12:24 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:24:48 GMT
    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:24 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:24:48 GMT

President Donald Trump will be in the heart of Europe to address a continent still reeling from his election and anxious about his support.

Trump budget faces Dem opposition, GOP doubts about math

Thursday, May 25 2017 12:18 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:18:58 GMT
    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:18 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:18:58 GMT

Trump on Tuesday released a 10-year budget plan containing jarring, politically unrealistic cuts to the social safety net and a broad swath of domestic programs.

Foreign meetings omitted from Sessions' security clearance

Thursday, May 25 2017 12:18 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:18:19 GMT
    Thursday, May 25 2017 12:18 PM EDT2017-05-25 16:18:19 GMT
    The ranking Democrat on the House intelligence committee says the panel will be issuing subpoenas to get former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn to cooperate with its investigation into Russian activities during the 2016 election.