Lubbock Student Overcomes Cultural Differences To Become Graduate - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

5/28/05

Lubbock Student Overcomes Cultural Differences To Become Graduate

"I came here two years ago." Nethanji is an immigrant from Sri Lanka. "When I came to the United States I was so scared I didn't talk to anyone I was really scared. Clothes, languages, social life all, that it's totally different," Nethanji said.

Her goal, however, has always been the same. "To go to college." That's where the Academic Decathlon team came in.

"It gave her a family of students to belong to, they took her in when she didn't have anybody," Academic Decathlon Coach, Gary Fortenberry said.

While studying for competitions, Nethanji found a friend with a familiar story.

"We connected on a very cultural level. We both had parents that work so much and understand each others background," Ngoc Lam, a graduating senior at Monterey High School, said.

A friend that had to overcome the same challenges. "I'm from Vietnam, my family immigrated over here when I was seven years old," Ngoc said.

Now best friends, two young women whose lives began half a world away find themselves walking across the same stage of life... looking forward to a future made possible through sacrifice.

"I definitely look up to my parents," Lam said.

"My parents got jobs, but they were thinking about our education." Nethanji said.

US general says illegal nuclear launch order can be refused

Saturday, November 18 2017 6:09 PM EST2017-11-18 23:09:48 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 5:21 AM EST2017-11-19 10:21:55 GMT

The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command says an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

Moore critic: Alabama Senate race a battle for nation's soul

Friday, November 17 2017 11:39 PM EST2017-11-18 04:39:35 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 5:20 AM EST2017-11-19 10:20:58 GMT

GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore's wife is standing by her embattled man, and she has gathered other Alabama women to his cause _ but not everyone is sticking with him.

Why some people just can't wait to decorate

Sunday, November 19 2017 2:01 AM EST2017-11-19 07:01:19 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 2:01 AM EST2017-11-19 07:01:19 GMT

Emotionally, jumping ahead on decking the halls could be a positive thing, some psychologists say. It’s all about retrieving fond childhood memories.