To protect and serve: LPD Officer honors motto, helps Lubbock wo - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

To protect and serve: LPD Officer honors motto, helps Lubbock woman get new garage

Sandra Thompson (Source: KCBD Video) Sandra Thompson (Source: KCBD Video)

Over the weekend a call for the Lubbock Police Department turned into a moment which a Lubbock woman will never forget.

"Officer Ellison came out and knocked on my door yesterday morning, and he said one of my neighbors had called and said someone was in the garage," said Sandra Thompson.

It started with a phone call from a worried neighbor the Lubbock Police Department.

"He wanted me to come back, and check it out. He said he would go with me, and there was nothing out of the ordinary that I could see," Thompson said.

But, Officer Ellison noticed one thing.

"He asked me, why the door wouldn’t go up. I explained it to him, and why I didn’t get it fixed. And within two hours, there were six police officers fixing my garage door," Sandra Thompson said.

From there, Sandra Thompson’s life was changed.

"They showed up with a brand new garage door, and fixed the walls and the fence," Thompson said moments after getting her new garage. "I am so grateful."

Thompson said that moments before Officer Ellison arrived, she was finishing up her morning prayer.

"God’s hand is here, and I am so grateful the Lubbock Police Department feels the same way. They aren’t about just arresting people, they are here taking care of the community. Like they should be," said Sandra Thompson.

Copyright 2017 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:11 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:11:54 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:10 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:10:57 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:09 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:09:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.