Congressman Jodey Arrington meets with local Democrats - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Congressman Jodey Arrington meets with local Democrats

Arrington visits with local Democrats (Source: KCBD Video) Arrington visits with local Democrats (Source: KCBD Video)

"I think this is a win for American democracy," said local Democrat TG Caraway.

"I think it was probably a win for both sides," local Democrat Brenda Cruze said.

"I think we are probably going to find a common ground, and we are going to continue through dialogue to find a common ground and I think this is a great first step," Lubbock County Democratic chair Stuart Williams said.

It appeared to be a great first step, as 18-local democrat leaders sat down with congressman Jodey Arrington today, for a round table discussion.

“As the proud representative of this district, that leadership is about working together to solve problems and it’s about mutual respect,” said U.S. Representative for Texas's 19th congressional district Jodey Arrington.

That's what they were able to find, a mutual respect. Even though, either side might not agree with one another.

"On a lot of these issues, he has his position and I think he is quite wrong on a lot of them," Stuart Williams said.

"I don't think he and I agree on how to get there, but I was happy he was willing to hear where I stood," local Democrat Brenda Cruze said.

"He wants to bring back more people, and have more of these and you know that's part of his job. To sit here and listen to his constituents whether he agrees with them or not," said local Democrat TG Caraway.

After it all, Congressman Arrington had a simple message to the local democratic leaders after the discussion.

"I want to thank them, if they are watching tonight. I want to say, you made me proud to be a west Texan. You made me proud to represent this region, and to serve all west Texans regardless of party," said Congressman Jodey Arrington.

New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico

Saturday, September 23 2017 12:36 AM EDT2017-09-23 04:36:18 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 10:49 AM EDT2017-09-23 14:49:12 GMT

In the stylish Condesa neighborhood young revelers typically spill out from dimly lit bars and restaurants on a Friday night. But the first weekend since the 7.1-magnitude earthquake toppled buildings just blocks away began on a somber note.

South Korea says natural North Korea earthquake detected

Saturday, September 23 2017 5:56 AM EDT2017-09-23 09:56:13 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 10:48 AM EDT2017-09-23 14:48:58 GMT

South Korea's weather agency says a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.

Trump tweets take on GOP holdouts on health legislation

Saturday, September 23 2017 12:46 AM EDT2017-09-23 04:46:21 GMT
    Saturday, September 23 2017 10:48 AM EDT2017-09-23 14:48:15 GMT

McCain opposes latest GOP health care bill, drawing ire from Trump and possibly dealing death blow to repeal-and-replace effort.