STILLWATER, Okla. – A walk-off single by Oklahoma State in the bottom of the seventh gave the Cowgirls a 2-1 victory over the Red Raiders Saturday afternoon at Cowgirl Stadium in game one of the three game series.
Texas Tech (17-24, 4-9) carried a 1-0 lead into the fifth, until OSU tied the game at 1-1, and then a bases-loaded single by Cowgirl Kristin Reasnor with one out in the bottom of the seventh scored the winning run for OSU.
The loss is Tech's first against Oklahoma State (30-17, 9-1) in eight games, as Tech carried a seven-game win streak against OSU into the contest that dated back to 2014.
"At the end of the day, no matter what, it's always tough when you don't come away with a win," head coach Adrian Gregory said. "Kassidy Scott threw a great game, and Kierra had a great day at the plate. We outhit them until the bottom of the seventh. All we can do is keep fighting and give ourselves the same opportunity tomorrow. Our kids are working hard and deserve for things to go our way tomorrow."
The Red Raiders struck early as senior Kierra Miles launched the second pitch of the game over the fence in left field to put Tech up 1-0. The home run was the 36th career home run for Miles, who is now tied for second on the school's all-time home runs list.
Making her 11th Big 12 start of the season, freshman Kassidy Scott quickly racked up five strikeouts through three innings, tying her season-high. She held the Cowgirls to two this through four innings and would toss 6.1 innings while giving up two runs on seven hits with five strikeouts and five walks, two of which were intentional.
Behind Scott, the Red Raiders maintained the lead until the bottom of the fifth, when Cowgirl Rylee Bayless singled and stole second, before scoring on an RBI double by sophomore Taylor Lynch that tied the game at 1-1.
Tech, which put a runner on base in six of seven innings Saturday, had senior pinch-runner Camaury Washington on first with one out in the top of the seventh and advanced her to second, but was unable to bring her around.
Oklahoma State got their half of the seventh started with a one-out single by Bayless, who then stole second before being moved to third on an infield single. An intentional walk loaded the bases, and Reasnor brought in the winning run two pitches later.
The Red Raiders return to action tomorrow with a doubleheader at Oklahoma State. The first game is set for noon on FOX Sports Oklahoma, while the series finale is scheduled for approximately 2:30 p.m.
• Saturday marks Tech's first walk-off loss of the season.
• Texas Tech had its seven game win streak against the Cowgirls broken.
• The Red Raiders move to 23-31 all-time against Oklahoma State.
• Head coach Adrian Gregory suffers her first defeat against OSU, moving to 7-1 against the Cowgirls.
• Tech falls to 13-7 this season when it scores first.
• Senior Kierra Miles hit her 36th career home run, moving into a tie for second on the school's all-time home runs list.
• Miles finished 3-3 for her 10th multi-hit game of the season. She also stole her 10th base in Big 12 play, which leads the conference.
• Freshman Kassidy Scott has now started 11 of Tech's 13 Big 12 games this season.
• Scott tied her season-high with five strikeouts on the day.