Fireworks stands are seeing an increase in business as the Fourth of July weekend approaches and experts are urging everyone to use caution and common sense when it comes to fireworks.
Health officials stress the importance of handling fireworks properly to avoid serious injury. They tell us a handful of patients were admitted into the hospital from serious burns related to fireworks last year and nationally, hospitals saw more than 9,000 patients in the emergency room last year.
Michael Albright With TNT Fireworks Offers Safety Tips To Follow:
* Always read and follow label directions.
* Have an adult supervise all fireworks activities.
* Ignite fireworks outdoors, away from buildings and vehicles.
* Keep a bucket of water handy.
* Light fireworks one at a time.
* Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
* Never throw fireworks at another person.
* Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
One more reminder, you can't pop your fireworks just anywhere, a city ordinance prohibits the possession of fireworks inside the city limits.
Experts say it's important to follow safety guidelines to ensure a happy and safe Fourth of July.