Sole Survivor of Tragic Accident Shares His Story - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Sole Survivor of Tragic Accident Shares His Story

Last week three men from Lubbock ended up in the hospital after a deadly dose of fumes overcame them while painting lacquer in a Lamesa basement.

J.D. Saddler died the day the accident happened. His father, J.D. Senior, or Pop as they called him, died on Monday. The third painter, D.J. Turner, is now out of the hospital and went back to work Wednesday... alone.

D.J. tells NewsChannel 11, "I remember going down in the basement and I got a rag and wet it and washed my face and put it over my nose and got the gun and started spraying. When I woke up, I was in the hospital. That's the last thing I remember."

When D.J. Turner woke up, he learned he had lost two of his closest friends... men that were more like family. He says, "They told me we lost J.D. It went through my mind what do you mean we lost him? It was a bad experience." Even so, D.J. returned to work to keep his mind off the experience, but he can't hide that look in his eyes. When you ask him if something is missing, all he can manage is a nod.

Family members stand as close as they can to D.J. these days. They say he's a walking miracle and they know how lucky they are. D.J.'s stepson Keith Mills says, "It was like one big nightmare." His wife Michelle adds, "We had a lot of people doing a lot of praying." And stepdaughter Angelique Mills says, "I thought I was going to lose him. I've never thought what it would be like not to have him as my dad."

Nurses say it's a miracle D.J. survived without brain damage. Michelle says, "He had a guardian angel, he certainly did." And D.J. can't help but add, "I just wish Pop and J.D. could be with me."

D.J. says he, J.D., and Pop had lacquered under similar circumstances before without any problems. He did say they noticed something strange about the lacquer thinner they used last time they cleaned their machines. He says it smelled like diesel and had an oily texture, but he's unsure if that had anything to do with the accident.

Paint Fumes Take Life of Lubbock Man
A home is expected to be filled with happy memories, but one Lamesa family is suffering through a nightmare that occurred right on their own stairway.
Toxic Fumes Claim Another Life
The men were painting a basement in Lamesa last Wednesday when they were overcome by fumes.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.