Murder Victim's Son Tells All About the Night His Step-Father Killed His Mother - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Murder Victim's Son Tells All About the Night His Step-Father Killed His Mother

A Lubbock teen tells all about the night his step-father murdered his mother. Sharon Wade died Tuesday, July 5th, on Highway 62-82, near Ralls. Her husband, Gerald Wade, stabbed her to death on the side of the road. He also stabbed Sharon's 19-year-old son, Mark Ellison, who was trying to help his mother. Gerald then drove to Lubbock and killed himself. Until now, what happened during Sharon Wade's final moments has been a mystery, her son, Mark, shared everything exclusively with NewsChannel 11.

Ellison tells us he never got along with his step-father, Gerald. Shortly after his mother and Gerald got together he moved out. Ellison says Gerald was verbally abusive, but he never physically hurt them, until the morning of July 5th.

The scene that took place along highway 62-82, Tuesday, July 5th, is permanently embedded in Mark Ellison's mind. It's where his step father stabbed and killed his mother, Sharon Wade.

NewsChannel 11 asked, "How often do you play that over and over again in your head?"

"Every night," Ellison replied, "every night. I'm laying in bed and I'm thinking about what else; what different could I have done to make the outcome better."

Around 12:30 the morning of Tuesday, July 5th, Sharon was on her way to Ralls to pick up her 16-year-old daughter, Sarah, making the trip at such a late hour because Gerald wouldn't let her leave the hotel they were in. Ellison had just spoken with his mother and he was also headed to Ralls.

Ellison said, "she called me back about four minutes later and said Jerry was following her. And so I said, since I was already halfway to share she was, I'd just go ahead and follow her out there."

Mark arrived two minutes after Gerald ran Sharon off the road near Ralls. He told Gerald to leave and started to call 911, but Gerald took the phone.

Ellison said, "As he turned away, I was walking toward my mom's car. I came up behind him and I put him in a choke hold and threw him to the ground and I kicked him. When I did that, he got up, turned around and that's when he stabbed me in my leg."

That's when Jennifer and Sharon got out of their car. They told Jennifer to hide in the field.

"My mom came over toward me to try to get my step-dad off me," said Ellison. "That when he turned around, he had stabbed her. Then she walked back over toward my car on the passenger since and I was still struggling with Jerry and that's when he stabbed me a couple more times. And then I had fallen to the ground. That's when he went over to my mom and said it was over, and that's when he finished. That's when he killed her. I asked him not to kill me. The only thing he said to me was, you shouldn't have punched me."

From the side of the road, Jennifer saw everything. "I saw him stabbing my mom and my mom was just screaming, begging for her life," said Jennifer.

She hid until Gerald left, then flagged down help, but she says it would be some time before an ambulance arrived (EMS officials tell NewsChannel 11 official response time was 6 minutes).

Mark Ellison said, "I thought I was going to die. I was bleeding everywhere and I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't know if I had a chance or not."

Ellison went to Covenant after being stabbed five times. He learned later that morning Gerald killed himself. He said, "I know it sounds bad, but I was glad he was dead, I guess because the fact he'd killed my mom and then left me for dead."

Ellison said he knew his mother couldn't be saved. He now copes with the loss of his mother, who was also his best friend. "It's been hard, but it's getting a little better," said Ellison. "If it weren't for my friends and family, I don't know where I'd be today."

Sharon's daughters, Jennifer and Sarah, will stay with her parents in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Mark will stay in Lubbock and has plans to attend South Plains College.

The entire family wants to say thank you to all of you who have supported them emotionally or financially.

If you would like to help the Ellison family, you can attend a fundraiser Sunday night at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant. It starts at six and ends at ten. The restaurant is located at 5402 Slide Road.

Donation cups are also located in every Brite Way Cleaners throughout the Lubbock area.

What Went Wrong During Deadly Domestic Dispute?
The best way to handle a situation is to get police involved which was not the case on Tuesday morning.

Powered by Frankly