Man loses finger in pit bull attack - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Man loses finger in pit bull attack

"It was biting me in the stomach, I attempted to block it with my hand and it bit my finger off," Maxwell said. (Source WOIO) "It was biting me in the stomach, I attempted to block it with my hand and it bit my finger off," Maxwell said. (Source WOIO)
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

A 911 call was the start of an awful week for Steve Maxwell.  He made this call on Saturday night

"I'm losing blood, I've been bitten by some pit bulls and I've lost part of my finger," Maxwell said.

Maxwell is healing, but plenty of marks remain from his attack, what doesn't remain is a big chunk of his middle finger

He unwrapped the bandages on the finger, it is not a pretty sight.

There was no sign of the neighbor at Maxwell's home but he says the battle with three pit bulls was a struggle like no other.

His neighbor was wrestling with the dogs and Maxwell went to help he says the neighbor .

His finger has not been found.

The dogs remain at the home.

Maxwell said he has been told they are quarantined for 10 days and would be fed and watered twice a day.

He's seen no activity at the home.

One of Maxwell's concerns is the fact that the dogs are still next door two in the front home, one in the back and the yard is not completely fenced in.

That means if they're out of the house they could attack anyone for blocks.

"Apparently there are no charges I can press against this," Maxwell said.

"In this case it was a personal injury.  Our main concern is making sure the dog warden is notified so that he can do his investigation into proper licensing and those type of thing," Lorain Sheriff's Lieutenant Dan Ashdown said.

Maxwell initially felt he was being ignored, but the case was moving through channels and it is a civil matter.

Download the Cleveland 19 News app and First Alert Weather app.

Copyright 2017 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Barbara Bush believed literacy could cure other ills

Friday, April 20 2018 1:33 AM EDT2018-04-20 05:33:17 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 2:54 AM EDT2018-04-20 06:54:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/Luc Novovitch, File). FILE - In this May 16, 1994 file photo, former first lady Barbara Bush reads to a group of children at the Clinton Family Inn, a shelter run by Homes for the Homeless in New York. Promoting literacy was a longtime cause ...(AP Photo/Luc Novovitch, File). FILE - In this May 16, 1994 file photo, former first lady Barbara Bush reads to a group of children at the Clinton Family Inn, a shelter run by Homes for the Homeless in New York. Promoting literacy was a longtime cause ...

Barbara Bush came up with the idea of focusing on literacy as first lady during a jog in 1978, the year her husband considered his first run for president.

Kushner Cos. subpoenaed by feds after AP report

Thursday, April 19 2018 11:12 PM EDT2018-04-20 03:12:45 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 2:54 AM EDT2018-04-20 06:54:19 GMT
    The Kushner Cos. is confirming it was subpoenaed by federal prosecutors for information related to documents about its buildings in New York City. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)The Kushner Cos. is confirming it was subpoenaed by federal prosecutors for information related to documents about its buildings in New York City. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The Kushner Cos. is confirming it was subpoenaed by federal prosecutors for information related to an Associated Press report that the company filed dozens of false documents about its buildings in New York City.

Bono gets new George W. Bush Medal for leadership

Thursday, April 19 2018 11:02 PM EDT2018-04-20 03:02:49 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 2:53 AM EDT2018-04-20 06:53:45 GMT
    (AP Photo/Brandon Wade). Former President George W. Bush, left, and U2 musician Bono participate in a Q&A session during a gala for the Forum on Leadership at the George W. Bush Institute, Thursday, April 19, 2018, in Dallas.(AP Photo/Brandon Wade). Former President George W. Bush, left, and U2 musician Bono participate in a Q&A session during a gala for the Forum on Leadership at the George W. Bush Institute, Thursday, April 19, 2018, in Dallas.

Rock star Bono presented with first of what the George W. Bush Presidential Center intends to be an annual medal for individuals who change the world in some way.