Lubbock Domino's worker loves his job, folding 3,000 pizza boxes - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock Domino's worker loves his job, folding 3,000 pizza boxes a day

Blind man folds 3,000 pizza boxes a day. (Source:KCBD) Blind man folds 3,000 pizza boxes a day. (Source:KCBD)

Ricky Robles folds up to 3,000 boxes a day.

"I worked here for about 11 or 12 years," Robles said.

"40 in each stack," Robles said.

A job he didn't picture having 18 years ago.

"In the year 1999 is when I started having trouble with my eyes. I was going to work one day and there's a stop sign at the end of the road that I always looked for and I saw it when I drove out of the drive way but when I pulled up in front of it I couldn't see it anymore," Robles said.

He was 43 when doctors told him he had Glaucoma, a disease that damages the eye's optic nerve.

It usually happens when fluid builds up in the front part of the eye. Fluid increases the pressure in the eye, damaging the optic nerve.

"It was ongoing. It was operation after operation, laser operation, Glaucoma operations, and finally I lost my eyesight," Robles said.

Ricky says even with a disability check it was less than half of what he had been making before.

"I didn't know how I was going to make my house payment. I thought I was going to lose my home. I thought I was going to lose my family, my wife, my kids," Robles said.

The State Commission for the blind stepped in and helped Ricky adjust to a world without seeing. Part of that was encouraging him to look for work. That's when he walked in to Domino's.

"I would've worked for free because I had something to prove to myself: that I could still work that I could still be productive," Robles said. "I work because I have this opportunity, and I can still do it. I can still work."

Ricky started off working just a few hours and is now working close to 40 hours a week folding boxes and feeling his way around two different Domino's stores.

"What would be the first thing you would do if you could see?"

"Look at my grandkids. See how they look. They all have a different personality but I don't even know how they look," Robles said.

Ricky's grand kids, one of the things that matter most to him, besides having the opportunity to provide for his family.

"I like my job. I really do. It keeps me busy," Robles said.

Copyright 2017 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Zuckerberg: Holocaust deniers won't be banned from Facebook

Wednesday, July 18 2018 6:08 PM EDT2018-07-18 22:08:46 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:46 AM EDT2018-07-19 09:46:35 GMT
    Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.

FBI Director Wray says Russia continues to sow discord in US

Wednesday, July 18 2018 8:09 PM EDT2018-07-19 00:09:49 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:46 AM EDT2018-07-19 09:46:33 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this Sept. 28, 2017, file photo, FBI Director Chris Wray speaks at his installation ceremony at the FBI Building in Washington. Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin’s denial of election meddling. ...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this Sept. 28, 2017, file photo, FBI Director Chris Wray speaks at his installation ceremony at the FBI Building in Washington. Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin’s denial of election meddling. ...
    FBI Director Christopher Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin's denial of election meddling.

Sex abuse victims join hands, accept courage award at ESPYs

Wednesday, July 18 2018 11:20 PM EDT2018-07-19 03:20:36 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:27 AM EDT2018-07-19 09:27:39 GMT
    (Photo by Phil McCarten/Invision/AP) Former gymnast Sarah Klein, former Michigan State softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez and gymnast Aly Raisman, from left in front, and others who suffered sexual abuse accept the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.(Photo by Phil McCarten/Invision/AP) Former gymnast Sarah Klein, former Michigan State softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez and gymnast Aly Raisman, from left in front, and others who suffered sexual abuse accept the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.

The women who spoke out against the abuse by Larry Nassar stood together Wednesday night in a powerful and solemn closing to the show highlighting the past year's top athletes and moments in sports.