Sugar Bowl's economic impact expected to be more than $200 milli - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Sugar Bowl's economic impact expected to be more than $200 million

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) -

Excitement is growing for this year's Allstate Sugar Bowl match-up between Alabama and Clemson, and bowl officials say that means more revenue for the entire region. 

"We think this will have a tremendous economic impact for the city and the state not only in terms of money spent in hotels, restaurants and businesses but the tax benefit for the state is huge," Allstate Sugar Bowl COO Jeff Hundley said. "We average $175 million a year economic impact. We've got studies to back that up, and we expect it to be north of $200 million for this game this year." 

Hundley said the excitement surrounding last year's game between Oklahoma and Auburn was not as high because neither team was involved in the College Football Playoff

The winner of the Alabama and Clemson game on New Year's Day at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome will advance to the CFP Championship on January 8th in Atlanta. 

"We've tried to promote all the activities that are going on around New Years. Some of which we are part of and some are just a part of naturally New Orleans new years eve, all of which amount to a good time for fans so we think they are coming and it will be a special time," Hundley said.  

"You've got the New Year's Eve celebration bringing in the tricentennial of the City of New Orleans," New Orleans Tourism and Marketing President and CEO Mark Romig said. 

For the upcoming weekend, the city's hotel occupancy rate is already more than 90 percent, according to NOTMC.  

"I think it goes to the 89,000 people who work in the hospitality industry that really roll out the red carpet because they love to show off their city and love to serve up a great time for the visitors," Romig said.  

Copyright 2017 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Trump says he'll sign order ending child-parent separation

    Trump says he'll sign order ending child-parent separation

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 11:21 AM EDT2018-06-20 15:21:21 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:33 PM EDT2018-06-20 18:33:20 GMT
    A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)A boy stares out of a heavily tinted bus window leaving a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility Tuesday in McAllen, TX. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen is drafting an executive action for President Donald Trump that would direct DHS to keep families apprehended at the border together during detention and ask the...

    Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen is drafting an executive action for President Donald Trump that would direct DHS to keep families apprehended at the border together during detention and ask the Department of Defense to help house them.

  • APNewsBreak: At least 3 shelters set up for child migrants

    APNewsBreak: At least 3 shelters set up for child migrants

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:31 PM EDT2018-06-20 18:31:49 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

  • Latest: Girl says on 911 call that her sisters are chained

    Latest: Girl says on 911 call that her sisters are chained

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:51 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:51:27 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:31 PM EDT2018-06-20 18:31:30 GMT
    (Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...(Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...
    A preliminary hearing has begun for a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.
    A preliminary hearing has begun for a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.
Powered by Frankly