LUBBOCK COUNTY, TX (KCBD) - Garland and his wife Barbara are counting their blessings after a house fire almost took their lives.
"The one up here above... He wasn't ready for us yet," Garland Schoor said.
The fire happened at 12:20 a.m. on Feb. 1.
Luckily for the Shallowater couple, they received a call from an ADT Dispatcher alerting them that there was a burglar alarm that had been set off.
Barbara, who took the phone call, told the dispatcher that she saw smoke, prompting him to call 911 and get the Schoors assistance from the Fire Department.
That dispatcher, Josh Edenfield, made the trip from Knoxville, TN on Wednesday to visit the couple at their home. Edenfield was awarded ADT's Lifesaver Award for his part in helping keep the Schoors safe. The company also wrote a check for $5,000 to the Shallowater Volunteer Fire Department.
"When ADT contacted me about the donation, at first you're very excited. Volunteer fire departments around here and across the nation...donations, fund-raising, that's how we survive. So any kind of money we get is very important," Cory Buck, the Chief of the Shallowater Fire Department said.
The Schoors are grateful for the support of ADT, the Shallowater Fire Department, and especially their family.
"We raised our three grandchildren, between all of our kids and grand kids, they took over and helped us. If we had to go through it ourselves it would be that much harder on us," Schoor said.