Food for Thought: 3/29

Food for Thought: 3/29
Source: KCBD Graphic

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A popular Lubbock BBQ spot is back open after it was forced to shut down following their latest health inspection, but they're not the only low performer on the list.

Health inspectors temporarily closed J&M BBQ at 3605 34th because of their latest score. They were cited for 20 violations.

  • Multiple foods were molded including: macaroni and cheese, salad and au jus.
  • There was evidence of rodent activity in the dry storage.
  • Pans and uncovered food were stored on the floor.
  • There were no date marks on foods in the walk-in cooler.
  • A container of rub was open and heavily soiled. Eggs were stored above ready-to-eat food.
  • Crackers were open in the food prep area.
  • The dish washer was not sanitizing, and the deflector in the ice machine was dirty.
  • An employee did not wash their hands before putting on gloves.
  • There was no soap at a hand sink.
  • There was no employee hand wash sign in the women's restroom.
  • Chemicals were stored above food, and the sanitizer solution was at toxic levels.
  • The two-compartment sink was leaking wastewater into a pan that was overflowing and pooling on the floor.
  • The dishwasher was also leaking.
  • There was no food handler certificates for employees.
  • There were no thermometers in coolers and no sanitizer test strips.
  • The blade of a knife was chipped.
  • The seal on the walk-in cooler was damaged.
  • Multiple areas of the kitchen were dirty - including: cooler fans and the bread cart.
  • Walls and floors were heavily soiled.

The inspector notes, based on the nature and the number of violations management did not show proper food safety knowledge.

The restaurant was closed for 24 hours to correct all the violations. They were re-inspected the next day and were allowed to re-open.

Josie's at 5101 Aberdeen had 15 violations.

  • The handle of the ice scoop was touching the ice.
  • Dirty food containers were stored with clean ones. The dish washer was not sanitizing.
  • A spray bottle was not labeled.
  • Salsa was held past its date mark.
  • Thermometers were missing in multiple reach-in coolers.
  • A hand sink was used to fill up a pitcher of water.
  • Multiple food containers were broken, and there was bare wood in the kitchen area.
  • Containers had sticker residue on them.
  • The rear door did not have a door sweep.
  • Multiple door gaskets were damaged.
  • Personal drinks were stored in the kitchen.
  • The drip tray of the coke machine was heavily soiled. Floors and walls throughout the kitchen were heavily soiled.
  • Multiple lights did not have shields.
  • A mop was stored in dirty mop water.

The inspector notes, based on the nature and the number of violations management did not show proper food safety knowledge. The report shows most of the violations were corrected at the time of the inspection.

Now to this week's good news. There's only one top performer on the menu this week:

Powell's BBQ at 7729 19th

Copyright 2018 KCBD. All rights reserved.