LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Every week health inspectors check out the cleanliness of Lubbock eateries; this week they surprised about 50 locations. A half-dozen of those stops are on the Food for Thought menu, a mixed plate of top and low performers.
Steak N' Shake at 5012 Milwaukee had 15 violations.
- Multiple containers of food were held past their date mark.
- Sliced tomatoes were above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees.
- The reach-in cooler was not working.
- There was no thermometer in the cooler.
- Raw hamburger meat was stored above ready-to-eat chicken.
- The ice scoop and the ice scoop holder were dirty.
- Multiple employee drinks did not have lids.
- There were no food handler certificates for employees.
- Food containers and knives were damaged.
- Food containers had sticker residue on them.
- Food containers were stacked while they were still wet.
- Ceiling tiles were missing, and the rear door sweep was damaged.
- Several other areas of the kitchen were damaged including the walls, floor tiles and the door of the walk-in freezer.
- The fans in the walk-in cooler were dirty.
The inspectors notes, because of the number and the nature of violations management did not have proper food safety knowledge.
- Now here a look at this week's top performers:
- Barbie's Daylight Donuts at 11814 Indiana
- Gonzales Snow Cone at 2801 Clovis
- Sonic Drive-In at 4401 4th
- Now We Taco'N (mobile unit)
- Bella J's Gelato (mobile unit)