Mold Could Be A Problem When Cleaning Up After Flooding - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

9/2/05

Mold Could Be A Problem When Cleaning Up After Flooding

The Centers for Disease Control and the Department of Health are concerned about the aftermath when homes are water-soaked for days.  Mold is a hidden danger that could erupt inside a home after it's flooded with rising water. 

Families faced with flooding.   The water and moisture can create a health hazard, mold. Ear nose and throat specialist Dr. Frank Astor explains what inhaling or touching spores can do. 

"You may have difficulty swallowing, infections of the pharynx, in the lungs, you may have symptoms of wheezing such as with asthma.   Shortness of breath or you can also have coughing.   In the eyes, you may have redness and skin may become red or blistery," says Dr. Frank Astor, an ear nose and throat specialist.
 
While toxic mold has gotten a lot of attention, common mold spores can be very irritating to those who are sensitive. 

"People who have asthma, people who have allergies are susceptible.   People who have respiratory diseases either in the sinuses or the lungs," says Dr. Frank Astor.
 
The Centers for Disease Control says controlling moisture is the key to keeping mold under control.
 
Drying out flooded areas might require a pump or a wet/dry vac.   Open windows and doors and use dehumidifiers that blow out, not in.   When cleaning up, an n-95 respirator is recommended so you don't breathe in spores.   Also wear gloves and goggles.   The environmental protection
agency does not recommend using chlorine bleach for routine mold cleanup. 
 
  

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.