Lubbock Ninja vying for spot on national TV - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Lubbock Ninja vying for spot on national TV

Tyler Humphrey (Source: KCBD Video) Tyler Humphrey (Source: KCBD Video)
American Ninja Warrior premiers Wednesday American Ninja Warrior premiers Wednesday

Tyler Humphrey has been working for five years, working for a chance to show his skill on national TV.

"I was honestly speechless," American Ninja Warrior Tyler Humphrey said. "When they called, I knew what area code to expect and I was like okay, that is the one. I froze, honestly, I couldn't say anything. It was just a speechless moment for me."

This past March he lived out his dream, as he competed on the brand-new season of American Ninja Warrior.

"It kind of was a surreal moment just stepping on the platform," Humphrey said. "You have a platform that raises you above everyone. You have the crowd below you and everyone is just watching you. Like all eyes, all cameras, everything. Everyone is just focused on you, and it's probably the most intimidating thing I have ever done in my life. "

Tyler told us that he was sworn to secrecy and couldn't tell us how he did but did say he had a solid run.

When asked what made the run so exciting, Humphrey said:

"I went in knowing I was strong enough to do it but getting out there, and touching it, and realizing, I can actually do this," Humphrey said. "I think that is what made it exciting. Just the fact that I gave it everything I had. I can't reveal anything yet, but after tomorrow I can tell you everything."

Tyler was one of 100 contestants who has the possibility of making Wednesday's season debut. He said the biggest obstacle he had to overcome was simply getting on the show.

"So many people apply for the show and so many people want to be an American Ninja Warrior, but there is so much just to get to that," Humphrey said. "You have to apply, you have do a video, you have to submit an application. Just getting through that and making sure I was going to get a call was my biggest obstacle."

Since returning home, Tyler has found himself a job training future American Ninja Warriors.

"I am an American Ninja Warrior, y'all are doing American Ninja Warrior. What can we do to help each other?" Humphrey said. "Working with kids has been pretty nice. Training them and getting them over their fears, hopefully raising the next generation of Ninjas."

American Ninja Warrior will air on KCBD News Channel 11 at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Copyright 2018 KCBD. All rights reserved.

• SPORTSMore>>

Kroos scores late to give Germany 2-1 win over Sweden

Saturday, June 23 2018 4:29 PM EDT2018-06-23 20:29:18 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 4:44 AM EDT2018-06-24 08:44:42 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell). Sweden's Viktor Claesson, left, challenges Germany's Toni Kroos during the group F match between Germany and Sweden at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Fisht Stadium in Sochi, Russia, Saturday, June 23, 2018.(AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell). Sweden's Viktor Claesson, left, challenges Germany's Toni Kroos during the group F match between Germany and Sweden at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Fisht Stadium in Sochi, Russia, Saturday, June 23, 2018.
    Toni Kroos scored in the fifth minute of stoppage time from outside the penalty area and 10-man Germany rallied to beat Sweden 2-1 to stay alive at the World Cup.

The Latest: Mexico in control at half against South Korea

Saturday, June 23 2018 6:46 AM EDT2018-06-23 10:46:54 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 4:44 AM EDT2018-06-24 08:44:10 GMT
    (AP Photo/Felipe Dana). Brazil's Neymar, left and Thiago Silva talk to other players during Brazil's official training on the eve of the group E match between Brazil and Switzerland at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Rostov Arena in Rostov-on-Don, Rus...(AP Photo/Felipe Dana). Brazil's Neymar, left and Thiago Silva talk to other players during Brazil's official training on the eve of the group E match between Brazil and Switzerland at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Rostov Arena in Rostov-on-Don, Rus...
    Thiago Silva is upset with teammate Neymar for shouting at him during Brazil's tense 2-0 win over Costa Rica.

Iceland, Mexico, England vie for US World Cup support

Saturday, June 23 2018 7:36 AM EDT2018-06-23 11:36:45 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 3:57 AM EDT2018-06-24 07:57:19 GMT
    (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson). Iceland soccer fans watch the final minutes on television of the team's loss to Nigeria in a World Cup soccer match at a sports bar, Friday, June 22, 2018, in Seattle.(AP Photo/Elaine Thompson). Iceland soccer fans watch the final minutes on television of the team's loss to Nigeria in a World Cup soccer match at a sports bar, Friday, June 22, 2018, in Seattle.
    With no American team at the World Cup, Iceland's prime minister vies for US support, Landon Donovan pushes for Mexico and James Corden for England.