Lubbock Girl Escapes Burning Home - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

11/11/05

Lubbock Girl Escapes Burning Home

A fire started just after 6:30 Friday afternoon at a home in the 2200 Block of 48th Street. Once Lubbock firefighters arrived, they had it contained in about ten minutes. A family of six lived there, but only one person was home at the time.

"I just took off for a few minutes, I was going to go pick up my sister. My daughter was in the house. I wasn't gone not even ten minutes, she called me on my cell phone and told me the house was on fire," said homeowner Danny Borjas.

Elizabeth Borjas was trapped inside the home at the time of the fire, and it was quick thinking by the young girl that helped her escape the burning home.

"I smelled something burning like rubber, I opened the door to my sisters room, and I saw smoke," said Elizabeth .

"I had just took off for a few minutes. She was in the house in this room here, and I'm thinking the fire started in our room in the back of the house, I'm assuming but I'm not sure," said Danny.

"I didn't know what to do and then I remember at school when they tell you to get out the nearest exist so I had to crawl through the window, but I was shaking," said Elizabeth.

"Thank God my neighbors, these two men right there, they helped my daughter out," said Danny.

"They got me to the fire department and they came real fast," said Elizabeth.

"She crawled out the window, I got here as fast as I could, I thought she was still in there, but she's ok... Thank God," said Danny.

"I'm just glad she was smart enough to get out, and be safe," said Elizabeth's sister, Gracie Borjas.

"I'm just happy my niece and my family wasn't in there so they and that they're ok," said Elizabeth.

"As long as long you know we're all safe, were going to get by," Gracie said.

"Thank God she is ok, that's all material stuff, but still you know it's hard," said Elizabeth's aunt.

"I lost everything," said Danny.

Fire investigators are trying to determine what caused the blaze. In the meantime, the Borjas family will stay with relatives.

SCAN --The Safe Community Alert Network
Receive immediate alerts for neighborhood crime, sexual predators, weather & fire advisories, health emergencies, and more. Just sign up and the service is free of charge.

Police: Suspected gunman spoke online about demon possession

Saturday, May 26 2018 4:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 08:03:40 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 5:36 AM EDT2018-05-26 09:36:38 GMT
    (Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...(Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...
    Authorities say a Facebook page in which a man claims his television is possessed by the devil belongs to the man suspected of shooting three people at an Oklahoma City restaurant before being killed by two armed bystanders.

Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info

Saturday, May 26 2018 1:13 AM EDT2018-05-26 05:13:07 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 5:34 AM EDT2018-05-26 09:34:09 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this May 5, 2018, file photo, Rudy Giuliani, an attorney for President Donald Trump, speaks in Washington.(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this May 5, 2018, file photo, Rudy Giuliani, an attorney for President Donald Trump, speaks in Washington.
    President Donald Trump's legal team wants a briefing on the classified materials shared with lawmakers.

Portland hit-and-run: Man, 61, charged with attempted murder

Saturday, May 26 2018 5:18 AM EDT2018-05-26 09:18:38 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 5:18 AM EDT2018-05-26 09:18:38 GMT
    Greg Porter has been charged with the attempted murder of three women in Portland, OR. (Source: Portland Police Bureau/CNN)Greg Porter has been charged with the attempted murder of three women in Portland, OR. (Source: Portland Police Bureau/CNN)

The women were hit in the mid-morning on a sidewalk near a restaurant, and one victim is in critical condition.