If you missed it, some would say this was the most important story last week. Most would agree it is the most bizarre. A teenager in Canada died last week literally from the kiss of death. 15 year- old Christina Desforges collapsed and died following a simple kiss from her boyfriend. He had just eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She was allergic to peanuts. So, here's the message, that I think is worth repeating.
"If a partner of a peanut allergic individual had eaten a food, there could be passing of that food through the saliva," says Scott Sicherer M.D. at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine. Dr. Sicherer says for some reason we are seeing more peanut allergies today than ever before. So that kiss was a tragic reminder to those of us who like to bake Christmas goodies with peanut butter for friends and neighbors, to check first for allergies. Dr. Sicherer says about 3 million Americans have a peanut or nut allergy. And every year, between 100 and 150 people die because of an allergy to something they ate.