Fire Department Sends Warning Following Weekend Fires - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Fire Department Sends Warning Following Weekend Fires

Shallowater Fire Shallowater Fire
Mobile Home Fire Mobile Home Fire
Dollar General Fire Dollar General Fire

The Lubbock Fire Department is sending this a smoke detector or make sure the one you have is working.

Deputy Fire Marshall Garett Nelson says, "We're imperfect people and we're always gonna make mistakes as long as you've got a smoke detector. At least if you make that mistake and have a fire in your home that detector is gonna wake you up and get you out."

The warning comes after South Plains firefighters spent the weekend dousing fires. Most of them were caused by people trying to unsafely heat their homes.

A candle fell over, starting a fire at a Shallowater home around 3 a.m. Sunday morning. The fire injured a 48-year-old man who is now being treated at University Medical Center for second and third degree burns to his arms and face.

Investigators are still trying to find out how a mobile home fire started. The blaze destroyed a trailer in the 7500 block of I-27 around 2:30am Monday. Fortunately, it was vacant.

Investigators were back on the scene in Ralls Monday trying to figure out what caused a Dollar General store to go up in flames Saturday morning. The think it might have been a faulty heater.

Ralls Mayor Kelly Wing says, "The people that I have talked to are gonna miss it but hopefully it won't be too long before we have another Dollar General up and going again here in town."

For now, all the Dollar General employees in Ralls have been transferred to other locations of that store.

get more>> Web Enhanced
Winterizing Your Home
As the cold weather months approach it's very important to prepare your house for the freezing temperatures. Here are some tips for around the home to save you time and money.

Powered by Frankly