Idalou Volunteer Fire Department Warn about Dry Conditions - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

12/29/05

Idalou Volunteer Fire Department Warn about Dry Conditions

Volunteer fire fighters from Idalou, Roosevelt and New Deal were called to FM400 near Idalou around 4 p.m. It took them about an hour and a half to put out a grass fire. They believe a cigarette may have started the fire, proving just a spark is all it takes.

This type of fire concerns fire fighters as people get ready to celebrate the New Year with fireworks.

Thursday, the Idalou Fire Department showed us how one firecracker can do a lot of damage. "Anything this time of year, fireworks, people burning trash, cigarettes, sparks from cars, brakes on trucks can cause a fire," said Idalou Assistant Fire Chief Russ Perkins.

Perkins lit a small spinning firecracker that caught the grass on fire in seconds. "In less than 5-10 seconds, we were already another 20-25 feet to a plowed field. Had that been a grass pasture of CRP land next to a house with juniper trees the house would be in danger. The high winds would make it a disaster," said Perkins.

If you do plan to burn, Perkins says to make sure you are far away from any homes, pop in a plowed field, and make sure you ask permission if you are on private property.

Fireworks Safety Tips
The Consumer Product Safety Commission issues these safety tips for all Americans.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.