House Fire Kills 9-Month-Old Boy - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2/27/06

House Fire Kills 9-Month-Old Boy

A Lubbock couple is making funeral arrangements after losing their 9-month-old son to fire. "I couldn't get him because I couldn't breathe. It was felt like my lungs were on fire. I was trying to get some air so I could go back," said Joe Hale.

Joe & Amanda Hale woke up around 2:30 Saturday morning to find their home burning. It happened in the 7500 block of 19th Street. The couple says he fire spread so quickly that they barely had time to get out. They say they both tried to go back inside to save William J. Hale, but the smoke and flames made it impossible.

On the night of the tragedy, the family issued this warning: "Get smoke alarms if you don't have them. Get them get them put them in make sure they work. You never know when a fire comes, you never know when it is going to hit," said Joe & Amanda.

The Lubbock fire Marshall's office has not released the official cause of the fire, but do say the home was heated by space heaters.

Home Heating Safety and You
In our efforts to stay warm this winter, it's important to remember that heating equipment is the number one cause of home fires in the United States. To ensure your safety, you should follow these fire safety tips provided by the National Fire Protection Association.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.