Canadian medical officials are investigating the death of a 17-year-old girl from a serious infection...the concern is they suspect her death may be linked to a body piercing.
Dr. Jim Hutchinson is one of the top experts with Infection Control in Canada. And although he's not commenting yet on the girl's case, he says infections from body piercing are very common and can be dangerous.
"You can have overwhelming infection where it spreads very quickly, people are familiar with fasciitis, flesh eating disease kind of scenario that has made lots of media attention. Then the other kind is a toxin mediated thing and the example is readily talked about is toxic shock syndrome," said Dr. Hutchinson.
His advice is that anyone who wants to get a piercing should have it done professionally, in a place that can prove it sterilizes all equipment.