South Lubbock House Fire Leaves Family Homeless - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

4/6/06

South Lubbock House Fire Leaves Family Homeless

On Thursday Lubbock experienced wind gusts near 60 miles per hour. Because of those high winds area firefighters were on high alert, as the high winds and dry conditions combine to make favorable fire conditions. Although we have no reports of major fires, but the day was not without incident. NewsChannel 11's Kealey McIntire has more from the scene of a house fire that broke out around 12:15 Thursday afternoon at 116th and South University.

Firefighters say the scene could have been much worse. The Woodrow Volunteer Fire Department responded, they say the fire started under the home and that's where most of the flames stayed. The neighboring homes are very close to one another, firefighters say if the flames had not been confined winds could have caused the fire to quickly spread to other homes.

Luckily that wasn't the case, however you can see how the fire damaged most of the front part of the home where the fire started, leaving a family of three without a place to stay.

Staci Anderton wasn't home when her house caught fire. She found out when her husband called to tell her everything was gone. "I didn't believe him. I said, 'That's not funny. We just did the fire drill yesterday. That's not funny.'"

Making a Kit for an Emergency Situation
When preparing for a possible emergency situation, it's best to think first about the basics of survival: fresh water, food, clean air and warmth.

Anderton spent Wednesday night teaching her 6-year-old daughter how to escape a fire after learning about a house fire in Central Lubbock that killed a 4-year-old boy earlier this week.

"Make sure people tell their children, they've got to teach them, they've got to teach them. I don't care how old they are. They have to know how to get out because you never know when it's going to happen," said Anderton.

Firefighters say the fire started under the house and flames came through the floor in the 6-year-old's room. Luckily, she was at school at the time.

Firefighters say the flames were mostly confined to underneath the home destroying the southeast corner. However, Woodrow Volunteer Fire Department Lieutenant Steve Couch says the situation could have been much worse if the flames had been exposed to the wind. "The smallest fire with the wind can turn into a huge fire real quick. With as dry as it is, you catch the grass on fire and it could turn into a big fire real quick," said Couch.

Anderton's husband was inside when the fire started. He escaped without injury, but they believe two of their pets died.

KCBDToGo.com For Your Mobile Devices
Get the latest news, weather, sports and more on your mobile phone or PDA with KCBDToGo.com.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.