Power has been fully restored to University Medical Center and Texas Tech University. A transformer caught on fire just before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday causing the outage. Mike Perez was sitting outside of the emergency room and says it sounded like a loud explosion. Perez says, "I turned around and saw a big flame. I mean it was big like six and a half feet high. I felt it all the way over here. It scared me a bit."
The power outage did not affect patient care at UMC. The hospital immediately rolled over to an emergency generator without disruption of service to critical parts of the hospital like patient rooms and operating rooms. The air conditioner was out however, along with lights to administrative offices and hallways.
|Cool Ways To Save in the Summer Heat|