Food for Thought Report 1.18 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

1/18/07

Food for Thought Report 1.18

McDonald's at 2329 19th Street and Pizza Patron at 5215 University are this week's only top performers.

Food for Thought 1.18
Here is a complete list of the restaurants and their violations for the week ending on 1/18/07.

Dairy Queen at 2311 Ave. Q had four critical violations.

  • Corn dogs and tomatoes were above 41 degrees.
  • An employee was removed from the food-prep area after the inspector observed her coughing and sneezing while preparing food. The employee stated she had been ill for three weeks.
  • Employees were not wearing gloves when handling ready to eat foods.
  • There was no Heimlich poster.

Management at Dairy Queen says all violations have been corrected. The report shows most were corrected during the inspection.

The restaurant inside Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza at 3201 South Loop 289 also had four critical violations.

  • Sausage was 121 degrees. Must be at least 135 degrees.
  • Milk, pasta salad and corned beef were above the safe temperature of 41 degrees.
  • Hand washing sink did not have hot water.
  • A toxic item was stored on/by food contact surfaces.

Management says the inspector came in right after their breakfast rush, and they were preparing for lunch. They say "Our goal is to ensure a safe food environment, and we'll work diligently with the health department to make sure the violations don't occur again." The report shows all but one were corrected during the inspection.

Queso's at 2101 19th Street had five critical violations.

  • An employee did not wash their hands before putting on a new pair of gloves.
  • Toxic items were stored near gloves and coffee filters.
  • Improper thermometers were used.
  • Spoons, lids and bins were soiled.
  • A consumer advisory was not posted about the consumption of undercooked eggs.

Management says, "We do our best to serve our community and Lubbock High School to the best of our ability." They add all violations were corrected during the inspection. The report shows most were.

Cancun Mexican Restaurant at 7905 University also had five critical violations.

  • Rice was not at least 135 degrees.
  • Two cans were heavily dented.
  • Food was not date-marked or incorrectly at-marked.
  • Improper thermometers were used.
  • Mugs, a wine glass, schooner and can opener were soiled. Plates were chipped. And soda nozzles were moldy.

Management says all violations have been corrected. The report show all but one were corrected during the inspection.

Ana's Asian Buffet at 7307 University was cited for six violations.

  • Fruit was above 41 degrees.
  • Employee did not use soap when washing hands.
  • Employee washed hands at a food-prep sink, and cleaning pads were found in a hand wash sink.
  • A toxic item was not labeled.
  • A cooler had a broken thermometer. Another cooler did not have a thermometer.
  • Ice scoops were stored on a soiled surface, and a can opener was soiled.

Management says all violations have been corrected. The report shows all but one were corrected when the inspector was present.

Beijing House Restaurant at 3605 50th also had six critical violations.

  • Cooked pork and chicken were above 41 degrees.
  • An employee did not wash their hands before putting on a new pair of gloves.
  • Personal food and drinks were found on a food prep table.
  • A toxic item was not labeled.
  • Improper thermometers were used.
  • A consumer advisory was not posted near the buffet table alerting customers to use a clean plate each time.

A manager was not available for comment. The report shows most of the violations were corrected while the inspector was there.

The restaurant inside United Market Street at 3405 50th was cited for six critical violations.

  • A refrigerator and potatoe salad were 48 degrees - must be 41 degrees or below.
  • Chicken and fish were not at least 135 degrees.
  • A cook did not wash their hands before putting on new gloves.
  • A dishwasher was washing dishes with an exposed cut.
  • There was not enough sanitizer in cleaning solution.
  • There was no thermometer in a refrigerator.

United's corporate office says, "We are committed to food safety, and any time there are short-comings brought to light during an inspection we address them immediately - throughout the entire corporation." They add that all violations were corrected during the inspection. The report shows that as well.

Jin's Asian Buffet at 906 50th Street also had six critical violations.

  • Mussels, melon and sushi were held between 49-65 degrees. They must be 41 degrees or below.
  • Chicken and crab puffs were 121 degrees. They must be 135 degrees or hotter.
  • An employee did not wash their hands before food prep or putting on gloves.
  • An employee's drink without a lid was found in the kitchen. Cleaning clothes were found in a hand sink.
  • Cooked foods did not have a date-mark.
  • Ice scoops were on a soiled surface.

Jin's issued this statement: "The quality of our food and the safety of our valued customers is of the utmost importance at Jin's Asian Buffet. We assure the public that all violations have been corrected." The report shows all but one were corrected during the inspection.

Joel's at 3116 Amherst had eight critical violations.

  • Raw chicken stored on a table was 67 degrees. It must be 41 degrees or colder.
  • Personal drinks and food were stored near clean dishes.
  • A can was dented.
  • An employee did not have gloves when handling a ready to eat foods.
  • The facility has a hose connecting the hot water heater to the spigot without a backflow preventor.
  • Hand washing facility does not have disposable towels.
  • The wrong type of thermometer was being used.
  • A consumer advisory was not posted about the consumption of undercooked eggs. After repeated attempts, no one answered our phone calls. The report shows half of the violations were corrected when the inspector was there.

Rooftop Cafe at 3300 82nd Street had nine critical violations.

  • Ham, onions, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes were all above 41 degrees.
  • Cook sausage was 115 degrees - that's 20 degrees below the safe temperature of 135 degrees.
  • An employee did not wash their hands before putting on a new pair of gloves.
  • An employee was handling ready to eat foods with their bare hands.
  • Food was not properly date-marked.
  • Toxic items were stored near food contact surfaces. The facility used Raid, which is not approved for restaurant use. And a bleach solution was at potentially toxic levels.
  • Wrong type of thermometers were used.
  • An ice scoop was stored on a soiled area. A plate and bowl were chipped. And plastic lids were stored in soiled containers.
  • A consumer advisory was not posted about the consumption of undercooked meat and eggs.

The owner says they've been in business for nine years and this is the first time they've been a low performer. He adds, "We have a new kitchen staff and a new inspector." He says, "We have never received a letter detailing the new health codes." He says all violations have been corrected. The report shows most were corrected during the inspection.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.