The Lubbock Health Department is sending an alert Friday after a 22-year-old man from San Angelo died from Meningitis.
"Out of the San Angelo case, there were 14 Lubbockites who had been in contact with the case," said Tigi Ward, City of Lubbock Public Health Coordinator.
The 22-year-old died in San Angelo this week after being hospitalized last Friday. San Angelo is about 190 miles southeast of Lubbock.
The health department is warning travelers they could have been exposed from March 29th through April 9th. Specifically, people who may have frequented San Angelo night clubs.
Meningococcal Meningitis is a type of Bacterial Meningitis that is spread by direct contact, coughing, sneezing, kissing, sharing drinks. The 14 Lubbockites treated for possible exposure did not have any symptoms, but symptoms include sudden onset of fever, severe headache, stiff neck, nausea and maybe a rash of small purplish red spots.
If you think you've been exposed, you need to call your doctor or the Lubbock Health Department at 775-2935.