A Lubbock toddler is in critical condition at UMC with second-degree burns on 50% of her body because a fireworks accident this weekend. However, Lubbock Fire officials tell NewsChannel 11 accidents like this could have been prevented.
The Lubbock Fire Department says, during a garage sale at a home in the 5800 block of 75th Street a 2-year-old got her hands on gasoline.
Deputy Fire Marshal Garett Nelson says, "Somehow the two year old was in the possession of a one gallon gas can."
Nelson says the child was not wet with gasoline nor smelt of it but did have it on her. This is what caused the problem, when her 17-year-old sister started playing with sparklers.
"17-year-old sibling was playing with sparklers, was careful not to let the two year old get a hold of the sparkler, yet just being close to it ignited the gasoline fumes and the child ignited," adds Nelson.
Nelson says the child's grandmother put out the flames by the time emergency crews arrived.
Reaching temps of over 1,000 degrees, there is no fire work ban in the county but once you cross into the city limits it's illegal to possess or even lit a sparkler.
"It doesn't take much. That's a lot of heat and each one of those sparks are very hot," says Nelson.
UMC Emergency Room doctor Tony Gonzales says can cause life-threatening burns, "Second and third degree burns are very deadly depending on the extent of the burn."
He adds, "The greater the body surface burned the great the morality. And that's what we're looking at."
At this time police tell us due to the nature of the injuries they are investigating.
Meanwhile, fireworks are also to blame in a weekend fire, which caused nearly $65,000 worth of damage to a home in the 5400 block of 95th Street. Fire investigators suspect a firework was set off beneath a window.
Again, fireworks are illegal inside city limits. Officials say if you are caught with them, you could receive a fine up to $1,000.
|get more>> Web Enhanced|
Fireworks Safety Tips