Lubbock Toddler Dies After Ingesting Insecticide Fumes - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

7/18/07

Lubbock Toddler Dies After Ingesting Insecticide Fumes

A Lubbock two year old is dead, after the family self-treated their home with commercial grade insecticides.

The family, at 1322 E. 15th, was overcome by fumes around 6 a.m., after what appears to be a case improper ventilation. Firefighters arrived, and determined the home tested positive for hazardous gases.

"(The) occupants (were) experiencing some medical difficulties. They were transported, I believe four, to the hospital," said Bob Bailey, Assistant Fire Marshal. "Investigation is continuing. We've had reports of commercial grade insecticides being used."

The child, her mother, her grandmother, her great-aunt, and a family friend were all taken to University Medical Center. Lubbock Police received word around 7:30 a.m., that the toddler had died.

Investigators tell us that Aluminum Phosphide (Phostoxin) pellets were being used inside the home, commonly used for agriculture use. The pellets react with moisture, and release phosphine gas that would be hazardous to the respiratory system. Those pellets can continue to release gas for up to 72 hours. Therefore, the police department will continue to monitor the situation.

NewsChannel 11 is continuing to follow this story, and we'll bring you the latest at NewsChannel 11 at Five, Six, and Ten.

KCBDToGo.com For Your Mobile Devices
Get the latest news, weather, sports and more on your mobile phone or PDA with KCBDToGo.com.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.