A Lubbock two year old is dead, after the family self-treated their home with commercial grade insecticides.
The family, at 1322 E. 15th, was overcome by fumes around 6 a.m., after what appears to be a case improper ventilation. Firefighters arrived, and determined the home tested positive for hazardous gases.
"(The) occupants (were) experiencing some medical difficulties. They were transported, I believe four, to the hospital," said Bob Bailey, Assistant Fire Marshal. "Investigation is continuing. We've had reports of commercial grade insecticides being used."
The child, her mother, her grandmother, her great-aunt, and a family friend were all taken to University Medical Center. Lubbock Police received word around 7:30 a.m., that the toddler had died.
Investigators tell us that Aluminum Phosphide (Phostoxin) pellets were being used inside the home, commonly used for agriculture use. The pellets react with moisture, and release phosphine gas that would be hazardous to the respiratory system. Those pellets can continue to release gas for up to 72 hours. Therefore, the police department will continue to monitor the situation.
NewsChannel 11 is continuing to follow this story, and we'll bring you the latest at NewsChannel 11 at Five, Six, and Ten.
|KCBDToGo.com For Your Mobile Devices|
Homeland Security secretary defends an alleged effort by top White House adviser Jared Kushner to create back-channel communications.
While millions of Americans celebrate the long Memorial Day weekend as the unofficial start of summer, some veterans and loved ones of fallen military members wish the holiday would command more respect.
Frustrated with what he views as his team's inability to push back against the drumbeat of new revelations, Trump is seeking expanded teams of lawyers and experienced public relations hands.
The parachutist hit the water after he cut away from his broken chute, The team jump, featuring the Navy SEAL Leap Frogs, was part of Fleet Week for New York Harbor,
President Donald Trump is set to lay a wreath and deliver his first Memorial Day address at Arlington National Cemetery.