Family of Two-Year-Old Killed By Insecticide Fumes Returns Home - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

7/21/07

Family of Two-Year-Old Killed By Insecticide Fumes Returns Home

A family is finally home Saturday evening after losing their two-year-old to insecticide fumes earlier this week.

The Lubbock Fire Department began testing for insecticide levels Friday afternoon in the 1300 Block of East 15th Street.

Saturday morning they deemed it safe for the family to return home. But family members tell NewsChannel 11 their home will never be what it was.

"I wouldn't say that it's home. It's just somewhere full of memories it's not a home anymore," says Lacresha Dunn, Vantashia's mom.

Two-year-old Vantashia Samuels died at UMC Wednesday and four others were treated for inhalation after commercial grade insecticide was used in their home to kill roaches.

Authorities are still looking to speak with the person responsible for giving the family the chemical. But say they do know the local company where the person in question may have gotten the insecticide.

Meanwhile, a fund is in place to help the family with expenses. Donations can be made to the "Vantashia Samuels Memorial Fund" at any branch of City Bank.

Funeral services for Vantashia will be at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday at the Lion's Chapel at 24th and MLK.

Staying Safe Around Your Home
The Lubbock Police Department put together this useful manual. It's a checklist of what you can look for around your home to keep you and your family safe.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.