Parents are in search of answers and peace of mind after Tuesday's massive toy recall by Mattel, for the second time in recent weeks.
The latest scare? Mattel Inc. announced the recall of some 9 million toys in the U.S. because of dangerous lead paint and magnets. While most stores have pulled the recalled items, there are still plenty of them on line and probably in some playrooms at home.
The toys with magnets are, of course, a choking hazard and Dr. Joe Sasin, a Lubbock ER doctor, says at first, you may just hear a whistling sound if it's stuck in the airway.
As for the lead paint, it's extremely toxic, twice as much in kids as it is in adults. So, how do you know if your child has been exposed to lead?
"You need to watch for warning signs. Abdominal pain, cramps, nausea, vomiting, poor eating or poor sleeping, any change in the child's behavior," said Dr. Sasin.
If you are concerned about any toys at your house, you can buy a simple lead test kit at any hardware store.
For a complete list of toys affected (click here).