Fire Kills 4-Year-Old Muleshoe Child - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

8/16/07

Fire Kills 4-Year-Old Muleshoe Child

Authorities now know the cause of the fire that killed a 4-year-old in Muleshoe on Wednesday. The fire started with the young boy's curiosity, a gas can and a pilot light.

"We received a 911 call in reference to a structure fire on the 100 block of West 6th Street here in town and that there was possible a child in the structure," said Muleshoe Police Chief, Brian Freida.

Little did Chief Frieda and the firefighters know that their worst fears were about to come true. There was a little boy in the fire, 4-year-old Sixi Alfredo Barrera Ortega.

"Our preliminary finding is that this is related to a gas can," Frieda said.

Investigators believe Sixi knocked the gas can over. As the gasoline flowed across the floor, fumes from the liquid gas ignited in the pilot light of the home's gas hot water heater. That caused an explosion, knocking off the hot water heaters gas line further, adding to the fury of the fire.

"There was a strange sound heard and that's when the mother attempted to get into the structure, but it was already to the point where she couldn't get in. In fact she received burns to her hands and arms," said Frieda.

Made evident from the melted nickel wiring, temperatures within the structure reached up to 1800 degrees with flames that shot has high as a tree in the yard, which was also burned.

"It's just an instance of an unfortunate accident where children were involved with a gas can or gas related product or playing with matches," said Frieda.

A memorial fund is in place to help the family with funeral expenses. You can donate to the Sixi Alfredo Barrera Ortega Fund at Muleshoe National Bank. 

Sixi's death follows another death in July here in Lubbock where a 2-year-old girl died after playing with a gas can and ignited due to sparklers nearby.

Chief Frieda is urging adults to make sure they remove gas cans from a child's reach. He says these types of tragedies can and should be prevented.

get more>> Web Enhanced
Fireworks Safety Tips
The Consumer Product Safety Commission issues these safety tips for all Americans.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • House sets risky health care vote after Trump demands it

    House sets risky health care vote after Trump demands it

    Friday, March 24 2017 4:27 AM EDT2017-03-24 08:27:55 GMT
    Friday, March 24 2017 4:27 AM EDT2017-03-24 08:27:55 GMT

    Republicans have set course for a climactic House vote on their health care overhaul.

    Republicans have set course for a climactic House vote on their health care overhaul.

  • Maryland high school thrust into immigration debate

    Maryland high school thrust into immigration debate

    Friday, March 24 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-03-24 07:30:09 GMT
    Friday, March 24 2017 4:08 AM EDT2017-03-24 08:08:29 GMT

    Students and parents whose Maryland high school has been dragged into the national immigration debate declined to comment about an alleged rape case involving a 14-year-old girl and a suspect authorities say came...

    Students and parents whose Maryland high school has been dragged into the national immigration debate declined to comment about an alleged rape case involving a 14-year-old girl and a suspect authorities say came to the U.S. illegally from Central America.

  • Xavier knocks off Arizona 73-71 in West Region

    Xavier knocks off Arizona 73-71 in West Region

    Friday, March 24 2017 1:57 AM EDT2017-03-24 05:57:24 GMT
    Friday, March 24 2017 1:57 AM EDT2017-03-24 05:57:24 GMT

    Trevon Bluiett scored 25 points, Sean O'Mara scored inside with 40 seconds left and No. 11 seed Xavier upset No. 2 Arizona 73-71 in the West Region.

    Trevon Bluiett scored 25 points, Sean O'Mara scored inside with 40 seconds left and No. 11 seed Xavier upset No. 2 Arizona 73-71 in the West Region.

Powered by Frankly