Now, if your kids would rather have the candy than the money, what candy would be the least damaging to the teeth?
You might be surprised but chocolate may be the better choice. Here's why.
"They have tannins in chocolate. And the tannins are actually anti-bacterial. Therefore, they kind of get rid of some of the bacteria that are in our mouths. What's bad, is anything that is going to take a long time to eat or would be very sticky and would stay in the grooves or in between the teeth for a long, long tim," says Dr. Kaneta Lott, a pediatric dentist.
Dr. Lott says she tells parents when you check your child's bag of treats for anything unwrapped or unsafe, get rid of anything that's gooey, sticky or hard. That could save you some money at the dentist down the road.