Lubbock Child Treated for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

11/26/07

Lubbock Child Treated for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted:

The cold weather brings about a seasonal warning about carbon monoxide. If not followed, it could turn deadly.

It sent one child to the hospital, over the Thanksgiving weekend. Fire fighters detected a high level of carbon monoxide coming from a wall mounted heater in the family's east Lubbock home.

In a second case at the Ponderosa Apartments, carbon monoxide was detected, but no one was injured.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause nausea, headaches, even death. It can come from any flame producing appliance, including gas stoves, water heaters, fireplaces, and your furnace.

That is why fire fighters urge citizens to invest in a carbon monoxide detector. They average about twenty dollars.

"What they ask you to do then before they get there, is at least fifteen minutes before they get there, is to have all of those windows closed and all the doors closed, and turn all your appliances up as high as they will go," said Capt. Marlin Hamilton.

To protect you and your family against carbon monoxide poisoning, have your heating appliances checked annually. Also be sure your fireplace flue is free and clear.

Fire fighters will also test your home's carbon monoxide level free of charge. Just call the Lubbock Fire Department to set up an appointment (806) 765-5757.

get more>> Web Enhanced
25 Energy Saving Tips- Natural Gas
Using energy wisely can reduce consumption and save money on utility bills. Some things cost nothing and can save a lot.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.