Warrant Reveals New Details In Avoided Amber Alert Case - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Warrant Reveals New Details In Avoided Amber Alert Case

Source: Lubbock County Sheriff Source: Lubbock County Sheriff

An arrest warrant reveals new details about the events that had Lubbock authorities minutes away from issuing an Amber Alert last month.

Allan Shepherd is in the Lubbock County Jail.  He's charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Lubbock Sheriff's Deputies arrested Shepherd in November, after he allegedly attacked his sister and nephew before taking off with his 10-year-old niece.

We haven't known much about the events leading up to that arrest.  Now, NewsChannel 11 has the back story. 

The two hour search ended at 58th and University Avenue on November 5th when Sheriff's deputies arrested 26-year-old Shepherd without incident.  They found his 10-year-old niece unharmed, but the story started in northeast Lubbock County at Shepherd's home on F.M. 2902.  Shepherd's sister says that is where he strangled her, and she fell unconscious.

In the Sheriff's report, the victim says she went to hug her brother Shepherd good-bye, and then he wrapped his hands around her throat.

The report doesn't say what provoked the alleged attack, but an ex-girlfriend told police she had recently broken up with Shepherd. She says that he was suicidal, and that night he sent her a text message saying he'd done something to his sister.

The victim eventually woke up to find her son in another bedroom, unconscious, and her daughter no where to be found. She went next door for help, but the neighbor says she collapsed, and the son was disoriented.  The neighbor called 911.

Investigators say the victim had red marks around her neck and saw blood on her son's ear.

Authorities caught up with Shepherd, driving a stolen pick-up in Lubbock. The report said that it belonged to his sister's mother-in-law.  Investigators say Shepherd's sister had driven the truck to his house that evening.

According to the 10-year-old, her uncle asked if she wanted to go for pizza, after the alleged assault. The 10-year old told investigators she didn't see anything. She says her uncle drove around and got lost. She fell asleep, not waking up until she heard the sirens.

Shepherd was not charged with kidnapping because investigators say it appears the 10-year-old went with her uncle willingly.


Courts & Crime
Take a look at the Courts & Crime news from around Lubbock.

Powered by Frankly