Women Seek to Create Balanced Lives - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

1/22/08

Women Seek to Create Balanced Lives

Women pack a lot into a day: the family, the career, maybe volunteer work. "Me" time is squeezed out, and healthy habits take a back seat.

"These employees didn't know me when I was the crazy Ellen," said business owner, Ellen Miller.

Miller was crazy, trying to do it all: the career, a mom to teenagers, and caring for an ill father. That's when Ellen Miller made a choice.

"I left a job I absolutely loved," said Miller.

The Dallas woman opened her own marketing business, but the change came with a promise.

"I made a commitment that I was going to begin to take care of myself. For me, it started with 10 or 15 minutes and just putting that into my life and saying I am important and my health is important," said Miller. "(Now I do) 15 minutes, twice a week. I do my little barbells. Nine pounds."

That choice to exercise those 15 minutes reflects the balanced life Ellen has lived for 13 years now. Along the way, the 48 year-old discovered many women living lives spread too thin.

"High achieving women take on so much of the burden for their professional lives and their families, that they don't take care of these other very, very important pieces of what makes them a complete and whole woman," Miller said.

Ellen has a website where girlfriends around the world come to learn about living a balanced life. Her truth nuggets e-mail give women motivation, inspiration, and reminders to put themselves first.

"If we neglect ourselves, how are we ever gonna take care of our families, our professions? How are we going to be successful in the marketplace?"

To view Ellen's website, (click here).

HealthWise Health Center
Take a tour of health news and developments for the entire family in our special HealthWise section: Health Centers.

Cold War drama caught on video as N. Korean soldier escapes

Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:11 AM EST2017-11-22 07:11:49 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 7:53 AM EST2017-11-22 12:53:28 GMT

On a cold, grey afternoon, a lone North Korean soldier races toward freedom, the shock of his comrades palpable as they realize he is defecting to the South and start sprinting after him.

US Navy plane with 11 aboard crashes into Pacific; 8 rescued

Wednesday, November 22 2017 3:01 AM EST2017-11-22 08:01:45 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 7:53 AM EST2017-11-22 12:53:14 GMT

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear, the Navy said.

The cause of the crash was not immediately clear, the Navy said.

Trump speaks up for Moore, warns against his 'liberal' rival

Wednesday, November 22 2017 3:12 AM EST2017-11-22 08:12:08 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 7:52 AM EST2017-11-22 12:52:56 GMT

Trump, who won election despite facing more than a dozen accusations of sexual misconduct himself, is discounting accusations of sexual misconduct against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, telling voters not to support his "liberal" rival.