A Lubbock County family will spend the next few days in a hotel, after flames destroyed their home Wednesday afternoon.
Dry conditions spread the fire to neighboring trailers, and crews were back on the scene Wednesday evening when hot spots sparked another small fire.
Flames broke out inside a trailer home on F.M. 2378, near the Lubbock-Hockley County line, just before 2:00 p.m.
Fire crews from West Carlisle, Levelland, Shallowater, and Smyer arrived on scene to find four trailer homes engulfed.
"The main trailer house over was on fire, which then spread to the next one, and then two other travel trailers, which also had propane tanks involved," Smyer Fire Chief Chris Bradberry said.
Tall, dry grass surrounds the area, which created an even bigger problem for fire teams.
"We usually get quite a few departments in route when we have something like this because the nature of the tall grass, and as you can see we had to put some grass out before we could get to one of the structures," Bradberry said.
The fire crews left the scene of the trailer fire just after 5:30 p.m. after soaking everything down, but just after 6:00 p.m. flames broke out again at a horse shed just next door. Crews arrived on scene to quickly put those flames out as well.
We spoke with the Cortez family who lived in the trailer house. They could only stare in disbelief at what used to be their home, telling NewsChannel 11 they couldn't save anything.
"They're all a total loss," Bradberry said.
Fortunately, the family was not inside when the fire broke out, but now they're left to pick up the pieces.
Fire crews say the fire may have been caused by an electrical short.
The Red Cross provided the Cortez family with a hotel room and money for clothes and food.
A fund has now been set up to help the family get back on their feet. If you would like to give, donations can be made at any City Bank branch.
|Lubbock Red Cross|