Hantavirus has claimed the lives of two South Plains residents since December of last year. That is according to Karen McDonald of the Texas Department of Health who told NewsChannel 11 Thursday night that people should be alert, but not fearful of the Hantavirus, which is spread by rodents and their droppings.
You may remember two years ago, a 12 year-old girl was the first Lubbock County case, but she received aggressive therapy at the children's hospital at UMC and survived. Now, the Texas Department of Health says it was a man and a woman who lived in different South Plains counties that died this year from the illness.
Their names have not been released. The TDH is still investigating.