A Warning to Parents: Watch Out for Magnets in Your Kids' Toys - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


A Warning to Parents: Watch Out for Magnets in Your Kids' Toys


Many toys come with magnets- and not just big magnets, but they are often smaller than a dime.  After Braden Eberle told his mom he had swallowed 2 magnets, he was rushed to the hospital and ended up in surgery to remove them. The two magnets had linked together, literally making the problem bigger.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports one death and at least 27 other intestinal injuries linked to swallowing magnets last year alone. Braden's case is actually featured in the current issue of The Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, in an effort to encourage parents to check toys and any gadgets with small batteries to make sure the compartment that holds them is secure.  They added a side note that small children might be better off playing with something that is not battery operated.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.