1. Add punch to a room or upholstery grouping with a bright color area rug. (See figure 1)
2. Choose your plants and containers carefully. One large plant gives much more impact than a collection of small houseplants.
3. When selecting accessories in a room with a patterned area rug, try using colors that are found in the rug. Usually the colors used the least in the pattern are the best compliment to the rug.
4. When using one lamp on a dresser, tall accessories can be used on the opposite end to create a visual balance.
5. Bring outdoors in with a garden-style-bench for the foot of your bed. Add a cushion for extra seating. (See figure 2)
6. If your lamp still seems too low, elevate with books to achieve a comfortable reading height. (See figure 3)
7. Start with a lamp to compose a table or chest top group. Hang a mirror with an interesting frame slightly above the lamp to reflect light.
8. Every room does indeed benefit from a touch of black. Upgrade any lamp with a sleek black shade.
9. Try a sleek look. One unusually shaped bowl elevated on a stand is more dramatic and intrusting than a number of small pieces. Fill with fruit for color.
10. Balance large pieces, such as an armoire, with equally tall pieces-here the tree with the screen.
11. Create an instant wall grouping in your teenage daughter's room with bright colored unusual accessories. (See figure 4)