While yoga is a relatively safe form of exercise, you should take precautions, especially if you're just beginning.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these recommendations to practice yoga safely:
- If you have any medical condition, don't try yoga without consulting your doctor first.
- Learn the proper technique from a certified yoga instructor.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Be sure to warm up before starting your yoga routine.
- Start out slowly, making sure that you are performing each move and position correctly.
- Stop if you start to feel uncomfortable or notice pain.
-- Diana Kohnle