Elderly Man Hospitalized After Dog Attack - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

3/19/08

Elderly Man Hospitalized After Dog Attack

An 89-year-old Lubbock man is in good condition Wednesday night after a dog attacked him earlier that afternoon.

Neighbors tell NewsChannel 11 strays dogs have become a big problem in the area.

A vicious attack brought First Responders to the 5400 Block of 42nd Street around 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, interrupting a previously quiet day in the neighborhood.

"I was reading in my back yard, and I heard a bunch of commotion," Venessa Rodriguez said.

"There was an fire truck and also an EMS crew," David Chirillo said.

EMS took the victim, 89-year-old Henry Clark Todd to Covenant Medical Center, while Lubbock Animal Control searched for the dogs that Todd said attacked.

"I really had no idea what was going on," Rodriguez said.

"A second later, Animal Control was knocking on my door, asking if I had a dog.  Later, I found out my next door neighbor got attacked," Chirillo said.

Family members say Todd was on his way inside his home when three dogs approached him. Animal Control says one dog attacked him; Todd picked up a water hose, trying to defend himself, but the dog severely injured his arm before they all ran off.

"He sustained some pretty serious injuries to his right arm," Lubbock Animal Services Director Kevin Overstreet said.

A large pool of blood by the phone where Todd called for help showed just how bad the attack was.

"It's not uncommon for me to be out walking around in the front yard and see stray dogs or in the alley behind my house when I'm throwing away trash, so it's kind of uncomfortable," Chirillo said.

He says strays are becoming a problem.

"I have a little puppy of my own; I would like to know that it is safe in my back yard, obviously it's not," Chirillo said.

Rodriguez agrees. She had to call Animal Control last week.

"I was leaving my house in the morning and a dog jumped in my car," Rodriguez said.

Now, knowing their neighbor was attacked, both say something needs to be done.

"It needs to stop," Chirillo said.

"It's hard to come back from something like that, and I hope he's alright, and I wish him well," Rodriguez said.

Lubbock Animal Control is not sure what breed the animals are. They describe the dog that attacked as a black dog with a white face.

If you see this dog, or any other strays wondering through your neighborhood, give Lubbock Animal Services a call at (806) 775-2057.

get more>> Web Enhanced
Dangerous Dog Attacks
Click here for more information on recent dog attacks here in Lubbock.

California university won't punish professor who jeered Bush

Tuesday, April 24 2018 10:27 PM EDT2018-04-25 02:27:20 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-25 05:02:22 GMT
    Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter) Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter)Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter) Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter)

A California State University, Fresno professor who called Barbara Bush "an amazing racist" and cheered her death won't be punished.

For the first time, Facebook spells out what it forbids

Tuesday, April 24 2018 5:46 AM EDT2018-04-24 09:46:09 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:54 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:54:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this March 29, 2018, file photo, the logo for Facebook appears on screens at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York's Times Square. For the first time, Facebook is making public, on Tuesday, April 24, its detailed gu...(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this March 29, 2018, file photo, the logo for Facebook appears on screens at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York's Times Square. For the first time, Facebook is making public, on Tuesday, April 24, its detailed gu...

For the first time, Facebook spells out how it decides whether to delete your posts.

Texas man sentenced to 50 years for $1.2M theft of fajitas

Monday, April 23 2018 2:18 PM EDT2018-04-23 18:18:31 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:41 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:41:38 GMT
    The Brownsville Herald reports Gilberto Escamilla told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control. (Source: gaudiikari/Wikicommons)The Brownsville Herald reports Gilberto Escamilla told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control. (Source: gaudiikari/Wikicommons)

A Texas man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for stealing $1.2 million worth of fajitas over nine years.