Children's Miracle Network Continues To Change Lives - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

5/1/08

Children's Miracle Network Continues To Change Lives

Thursday night's Children's Miracle Network 25th Anniversary Celebration event was a very exciting start to this 25th year of saving and changing children's lives on the South Plains.

Among the many CMN children there Thursday, one in particular personifies the reason CMN exists.

"I'm 19, so I've been here 11 years," said Children's Miracle Network success story Kristin Lewis, a sophomore at Texas Tech.

"I've been involved with CMN since 1997," Kristin said.

She was 8 years old then and she had just been diagnosed with cancer.

"I was told when I was diagnosed, if I would have been diagnosed three years earlier I wouldn't have made it because the technology and the medications weren't available," Kristin said.

On Thursday night, Kristin's success made her part of the 25th CMN Celebration.

"I'm going to be introduced with KLLL. I was one of the first Miracle Children with the radio-thon 10 years ago," she said.

And because of her success and how she says, CMN saved her life; she's decided to make a career decision.

"Because of CMN I've decided this is the career path I want to take. I want to work with the Children's Miracle Network," Kristin said.

With the hope that, just like hers, many more lives will be saved by the hands of CMN doctors and by the hearts of CMN donors.

Though Thursday night's event kicked off the celebration, you'll have to wait until the last weekend of May for the telethon. It of course will be broadcast right here on NewsChannel 11.

Children's Miracle Network - Lubbock Site
Learn more about how CMN helps children on the South Plains and the UMC Children's Hospital.

Hurricane Maria hits Puerto Rico after slamming Dominica

Wednesday, September 20 2017 3:55 AM EDT2017-09-20 07:55:20 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 9:05 AM EDT2017-09-20 13:05:53 GMT

Hurricane Maria ties for the eighth strongest storm in Atlantic history, when measured by wind speed.

A last, last chance: Republicans strain for Obamacare repeal

Wednesday, September 20 2017 4:24 AM EDT2017-09-20 08:24:59 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 9:00 AM EDT2017-09-20 13:00:56 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., speaks to the media, accompanied by Senate Majority Whip Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., on Capitol H...

In a sign he remained short of votes, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused on Tuesday to commit to bringing the legislation up for a vote.

Hurricane Maria aims at Puerto Rico after slamming Dominica

Tuesday, September 19 2017 12:12 AM EDT2017-09-19 04:12:30 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 9:00 AM EDT2017-09-20 13:00:10 GMT

Hurricane Maria threatens Caribbean islands already wrecked by Hurricane Irma and holds the chance of a direct hit on Puerto Rico.