A North Lubbock neighborhood is in shock tonight, after authorities removed thousands of dollars worth of stolen property from a home there. It comes after sheriff's deputies arrested two 17-year-old boys in South Lubbock County.
A passer-by caught the teens breaking into a home on FM 41 near Slaton. The driver alerted authorities, and they had both in custody a short time later. Investigators suspect the same teens are behind at least ten other burglaries, possibly more.
Late Friday, authorities found some of the stolen property at a home in North Lubbock. The tactical team was called in to assist when the people inside this home at 5611 Amherst would not come out. Eventually, four people inside surrendered. Authorities arrested one on a parole violation, and took the other three in for questioning. The identities of the four people taken into custody yesterday have not been released by the sheriff's department yet.
And not 24 hours after sheriff's deputies and tactical teams closed off that quiet Lubbock neighborhood, neighbors tonight say they're scared.
"It's scary, It's really scary," said Stephen Maxwell.
Maxwell and his wife, along with their two children live directly next door to the house tactical teams had in their sights Friday afternoon. Neighbors say at the time it was unclear what was happening at this house and that uncertainty is just adding to the uneasy feelings felt by all.
"Apparently they found a whole bunch of stolen merchandise," Maxwell said.
"What's been recovered so far ranges from flat screen TV's to appliances such as refrigerators, stoves to some electronics," said Major Don Carter with the Lubbock Sheriff's Department.
Maxwell says he recalls when people moved into the house next door. "They were always having parties and what not but I never noticed anything suspicious," he said.
And now, Maxwell is left feeling scared for his family and not quite sure what to make of Friday afternoon's action in the house just 20 feet from his front door.
"This has been a quiet neighborhood since I moved here and it's really shocking," Maxwell added.
|Staying Safe Around Your Home|