MRSA Is Just As Dangerous for Our Pets As It Is For Humans - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


MRSA Is Just As Dangerous for Our Pets As It Is For Humans

We know that superbugs, like MRSA, infect thousands of people every year. But did you know that it's on the increase in our pets as well?  

Barbara Byrne, D.V.M, an assistant professor of Veterinary Medicine says, "We are seeing an increase in MRSA in dogs, but if there is a wound in the skin or some other skin problem that allows a bacteria to invade and cause an infection, then it is a problem".

Christie Keith, whose dog, Kyrie, was diagnosed with MRSA ads, "It was horrible. It was red, oozing, blistering, wet, and she was just suffering horribly."  It took about three months for Kyrie to get well from the skin infection.  

Dr. Byrne says cats can also get MRSA, although it is not as common.   It is rare, but possible, to pass the infection from dogs to people.  To protect yourself, always wash your hands thoroughly after playing with your pet and do not ever use your dog's grooming tools on anything but your dog.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.