A federal judge has agreed to a settlement between an Abernathy family, and the maker of a tainted chili sauce.
NewsChannel 11 first told you about this case last summer when two Abernathy students became ill after eating a can of Castleberry's Aus-Tex hot dog chili sauce. It was determined both were infected with botulism. Castleberry recalled millions of cans of their chili, hash, and stew, after the Food and Drug Administration determined the company did not properly cook some of its products, allowing the botulism bacteria to grow in the cans.
Judge Sam Cummings signed off on an agreement that gives the family an undisclosed amount of money. Cummings further ordered the company to pay 15-thousand dollars in attorney fees and pay all medical expenses.
|Consumer Product Safety Commission|