The history of this region can be traced back for hundreds of years when the first settlers came here for the climate and rich land. But the City of Lubbock's history started sometime later when two settlements joined forces in 1890.
Those two settlements were Monterey to the South and North Town to the North. Buildings in both Monterey and North Town were built as that rivalry grew stronger until one day, for no other reason than to compromise, each town's leaders decided to join forces. They moved both towns, buildings and all, to a new site in between and called it Lubbock.
Come March 1891, Lubbock was the seat of the newly organized county, and within just a few short months Lubbock grew to 250 residents making Lubbock the fastest growing town on
The South Plains.
On May 4th, 1900, Lubbock got its first newspaper, "The Avalanche." And in the new century, Lubbock's continued growth included a hotel, a barber shop, a school and, the sign of any growing town, an insurance company.
Two doctors and two lawyers also set up shop along with two stores, a lumber yard and a blacksmith. Agriculture was the business and farmers were prospering growing Milo and, of course, cotton.
Between 1900 and 1910 Lubbock continued to progress in big ways. Lubbock was a city in the making adding a bank and a cotton gin. The one school of the 1900's grew into a school district. And for the first time residential homes were sprouting in a new area called Overton after its developer M. C. Overton.
With Lubbock's growth, the town needed something to quite literally support the town's commerce - streets. That's coming up in Part 2.
|Lubbock Centennial Celebration 2008|