The South Plains had a big role in World War II, including being the location of an Air Corps Flying School during the war in 1942.
The school would be renamed Reese Air Force Base in 1949 in honor of a local West Texas pilot, Augustus Reese, Jr., who was killed in Italy during the war. Reese, located just west of town, was the home of the first flight simulator used in a training program, and a joint pilot training program with the Navy.
Reese provided the best trained military pilots in the world for more than 50 years. However, the Pentagon announced in September of 1997 that Reese would close.
Today, Reese Technology Center is a research and office park.
Lubbock's Link to WWII Can Be Found at Silent Wings Museum